2020 Rules and Guidelines
All submissions must adhere to the 2020 BlueCat Screenplay Competition Rules & Guidelines.
- The Grand Prize Winner will receive $10,000. All scripts submitted (Features, Pilots and Shorts) are eligible.
- The Feature Screenplay Winner will receive $5,000. Four Feature Finalists will receive $1,000 each.
- The Pilot Winner will receive $5,000. Four Pilot Finalists will receive $1000 each.
- The Short Script Winner will receive $5,000. Four Shorts Finalists will receive $1000 each.
- The Fellini Award will be awarded to the Best Screenplay from any category (Feature, Pilots or Short) of the 2020 Competition written by a screenwriter residing outside the USA and will receive $2500.
- The 3 Title Contest Winners will receive $250 each.
- All cash prizes will be disbursed 30 days after the winners are announced.
- Every script submission will receive a written analysis as a part of their entry fee.
- All submissions must be original, and the sole property of the applicant(s).
- All ages are eligible.
- Must be in English.
- Feature screenplays must be between 65-125 pages in length.
- Pilot scripts must be between 20-75 pages.
- Short screenplays must be between 1-29 pages in length.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- You may submit a script once. You may not submit the same script more than once.>
- All script entries must be uploaded in PDF format.
- Under absolutely no circumstances will substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entry script(s) be made. Scripts will not be returned.
- If a submitted script becomes optioned, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period, that script will no longer be eligible
- Competition judges, readers and employees of the BlueCat Screenplay Competition, past and present, and their immediate friends and families are not eligible to enter.
- Previous winners of the BlueCat Screenplay Competition are not eligible.
- Scripts, including outlines, treatments, pitches, log lines or any developmental material related to the script, that has previously won any contest, competition, grant, lab, fellowship, mentorship, reading or award of any kind, are not eligible.
- Screenplays that have been submitted to any competition or contest prior to December 15th, 2016 are not eligible.
- Past and present scripts consulted on through Gordy Hoffman’s screenplay consultation service or the BlueCat workshops are not eligible.
- Past and present USC and UCLA students of Gordy Hoffman are not eligible.
Your script is eligible for resubmission. Resubmission allows you to revise your script and resubmit it to BlueCat.
- Each entry is considered a stand-alone submission. Your resubmitted script will not replace your original entry.
- Resubmissions will receive script analysis.
- Entrants can select a previous reader, a new reader or no preference. If your previous reader is no longer available, you can request a new reader or a refund.
- Each script may be resubmitted twice.
- Script titles cannot be changed upon resubmission. The author(s) must meet all eligibility requirements.
- Resubmissions will open after the first analyses are sent—-all entrants will be notified.
Screenplay Analysis Schedule
- All submissions submitted by June 30th, 2019 will receive their written analysis by August 1st, 2019.
- All submissions submitted by August 4th, 2019 will receive their written analysis by September 3rd, 2019.
- All submissions submitted by September 15th, 2019 will receive their written analysis by October 15th, 2019.
- All submissions submitted by November 11th, 2019 will receive their written analysis by December 10th, 2019.
- All submissions submitted by December 15th, 2019 will receive their written analysis by February 4th, 2020.
- All resubmissions submitted by February 17th, 2020 will receive their written analysis by March 12th, 2020.
- All analysis provided to the entrants is complimentary and free.
Submission Deadlines and Fees
- Early Bird Deadline: June 30th, 2019. Feature $50, Pilot $45, Short $35.
- Midsummer Deadline: August 4th, 2019. Feature $55, Pilot $50, Short $40.
- Regular Deadline: September 15th, 2019. Feature $60, Pilot $55, Short $45.
- Final Deadline: November 11th, 2019. Feature Screenplay $70, Pilot $65, Short $55.
- Late Deadline: December 15th, 2019. Feature $80, Pilot $75, Short $65.
- Final Resubmission Deadline: February 17th, 2020. Feature $50, Pilot $45, Short $35.
- Resubmission fees remain the same throughout the competition.
Competition Results Announcement Schedule
- Quarter-Finalists for each category will be announced March 17th, 2020.
- Semi-Finalists for each category will be announced April 14th, 2020.
- Finalists will be announced on May 12th, 2020.
- Winners will be announced on May 19th, 2020.
The BlueCat Newsletter
Every Tuesday, we send out a newsletter filled with screenwriting-related content: blogs, interviews, articles, script downloads, videos, tips and more.
Please sign up and join our community of writers today!