2018 Rules & Guidelines
- The Feature Screenplay Winner will receive $10,000. Four Feature Finalists will receive $1000 each.
- The Pilot Winners will receive $5,000, one Winner for half-hour pilots and one Winner for hour pilots. Four Pilot Finalists for both categories will receive $500 each.
- The Short Script Winner will receive $5,000. Four Shorts Finalists will receive $500 each.
- The Short Film Winner will receive $2,500, and will screen with the Short Film Finalists in a theatre in Los Angeles.
- The Fellini Award will be awarded to the Best Feature Screenplay of the 2017 Competition written by a screenwriter residing outside the USA and will receive $1000.
- Every script and film submission will receive a written analysis as a part of their entry fee.
- Each entrant will receive an e-mail notifying them of the writing competition results. Sign up here by entering your email address in the box below:
- Submitted scripts must be original, and the sole property of the applicant(s).
- All ages are eligible.
- All entries must be in English.
- Feature screenplays must be between 65-125 pages in length.
- Short screenplays must be between 1-49 pages in length.
- Half-hour Pilot scripts must be between 20-60 pages in length.
- Hour Pilot scripts must be between 45-75 pages.
- Shorts films must be under 50 minutes.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- You may submit a script or film once. You may not submit the same script or film more than once.
- All script entries must be uploaded in PDF format.
- Under absolutely no circumstances will substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entry script(s) be made. Scripts will not be returned.
- If a submitted script becomes optioned, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period, that script will no longer be eligible.
- Competition judges, readers and employees of the BlueCat Screenplay Competition, past and present, and their immediate friends and families, are not eligible to enter.
- Previous winners of the BlueCat Screenplay Competition are not eligible.
- Scripts, including outlines, treatments, pitches, log lines or any developmental material related to script, that have previously won any contest, competition, grant, lab, fellowship, mentorship, reading or award of any kind, are not eligible.
- Screenplays or films that have been submitted to any competition or contest prior to February 1st, 2015 are not eligible.
- Scripts or films submitted under a pen name will be immediately disqualified.
- Script or film titles cannot be changed after submission under any circumstances.
- Past and present scripts and films consulted on through Gordy Hoffman’s screenplay consultation service or the BlueCat workshops are not eligible.
- Past and present USC and UCLA students of Gordy Hoffman are not eligible.
Screenplay Analysis Schedule
- All submissions submitted by October 15th, 2017 will receive their written analysis by November 15th, 2017.
- All submissions submitted by November 19th, 2017 will receive their written analysis by December 20th, 2017.
- All submissions submitted by February 1st, 2018 will receive their written analysis by March 1st, 2018.
- All analyses will be returned by April 20th, 2018.
Submission Deadlines and Fees
- Opening Deadline: Entries must be received on or before October 15th, 2017. (Entry Fees: Feature Screenplay $45, Pilot (Hour) $40, Pilot (Half-Hour) $35, Short Script $35, Short Film $35)
- Early Deadline: Entries must be received on or before November 19th, 2017. (Entry Fees: Feature Screenplay $55, Pilot (Hour) $50, Pilot (Half-Hour) $45 Short Script $45, Short Film $45)
- Regular Deadline: Entries must be received on or before February 1st, 2018. (Entry Fees: Feature Screenplay $60,Pilot (Hour) $55, Pilot (Half-Hour) $50 , Short Script $50, Short Film $50)
- Final Deadline: Entries must be received on or before February 20th, 2018. (Entry Fees: Feature Screenplay $65,Pilot (Hour) $60, Pilot (Half-Hour) $55 , Short Script $55, Short Film $55)
Competition Results Announcement Schedule
- Quarter-Finalists for each category will be announced May 3rd, 2018.
- Semi-Finalists for each category will be announced June 5th, 2018.
- Finalists will be announced June 19th, 2018.
- Winners will be announced June 28th, 2018.
- Short Film Award Screening TBD.